Thursday, April 30, 2009

And If I Did Not Make Mistakes


And if I did not make mistakes


And give too brief a thought to heavy questions


And too much time to a little matter


Or if I always knew which road to travel


Where every step would lead me into daylight


And if each face that turned to watch me pass


Was broken by a smile;


Or if whenever I should choose to lay my heart,


Bare upon the sun warmed grass,


It always returned with tender touches


And carried by a song;


And if my heaviest burden were only to be


A breeze upon my back, and blossom in my hair


And my brow was never crossed with lines of pain;


If all this endless summer were my lot


And winter's fury never beat my back,


Then I never would have seen the stormy nights


Through which I've struggled, fought, & won;


I never would have known the joy of needed comfort given,


Or the essence of a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment